As some of you may know, I’m originally from NYC, BROOKLYN STAND UP! I moved to Columbus, OH some odd months ago to take an amazing job. Though I couldn’t be happier about my professional decision to move here, my social life has taken a MEANN turn for…boring! I, of course, did not expect this small city to live up to my NYC lifestyle but damn! Can a girl see even a splash of color every once and again? I searched the internet high and low for what some call “Columbus Hottest Attractions” or the “Top 10 Things to do in Columbus.” While most of the items on the list are valid, others are just blah… (like seriously, not everyone wants to drink beer and rock out to Zac Brown Band during WCOL Country Jam 2016). Being the fifteenth largest city in the US, I figured there’s bound to be something out there for me and my melanin. So, I took it upon myself to bring you the Top 10 Things to Do in Columbus: Negro Edition.
*THIS LIST IS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER.
PHOTO TAKEN FROM SKULLYS.ORG
- HAPPY EXPLORING! Leave me a comment below if you get a chance to check out these places!“Get Right with DJ Tron” at Skully’s Music-Diner. The first Saturday of every month you can expect a lituation at Skully’s The GET RIGHT party is fuego! (The Gallery Hop “Get Right” DJ’s are the best in town.)
- Avalon: This place is tied with Bodega (one of my favorite bars in Columbus) for best Taco Tuesday’s. Delicious! Saturday nights are the best with a never ending segment of Hip-Hop and R&B music. You can’t go wrong on either night at Avalon. The drinks aren’t the best in town and but you’ll be happy to be around familiar faces.
- BrothersBar & Grill: This place is HUGE! Not the best service but the music is A1. Pro Tip: if you want to have a good night here, show up already turnt…really really turnt lol. You’ll see what I mean. (Best Night: Friday)
- Short North Gallery Hop: Right before you make your way to Skully’s, you may want to check out the Short North Gallery Hop. This happens the first Saturday of every month. “Each month, performers and boutique owners settle into the many nooks of the Short North Arts District to entertain the masses.”
- Ugly Tuna Saloona: The perfect pre-game stop. Make sure to go during “Ugly Hour,” (M-F from 8-10), there are $1 well drinks, shots, drafts and long island iced tea’s. (Best Night: Friday)
- Bullwinkle’s: Finished at Ugly Tuna and need somewhere to go? Bullwinkle’s. No cover charge and it’s massive! All you college scene seeking people, you’re welcome in advance.
- Black Orientated Festivals: There are a ton of festivals throughout the year that celebrates black culture. The Salvaged TreasuresMarketplace, African American Heritage Festival, Jazz and Rib Fest in Columbus, and Juneteenth Ohio Festival just to name a few.
- Funny Bone Comedy Club: In need of a good laugh? Can’t go wrong here. They have amazing lineup every week. Check the calendar to see when your favorite comedian is coming to town
- The Flew Crew (Reggae Night) at Skully’s: Get your reggae/dancehall fill here. Whether you want Kartel, Mavado, or Konshens, you’ll hear it at Skully’s. (Sunday Nights)
- The Social Room: The Social Friday’s is one of the best in town. Looking to meet new people or simply twerk it out to some rap and hip-hop music, you’ll definitely get the full feel of Columbus at The Social Room.
HAPPY EXPLORING! Leave me a comment below if you get a chance to check out these places!